THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG
Applications are invited for appointment as Laboratory Manager (at the rank of Executive Officer/Assistant Technical Manager) in the HKU-Pasteur Research Pole, School of Public Health (Ref.: 201800526) (to commence as soon as possible, on a two-year fixed-term basis with contract-end gratuity and University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme, totalling up to 10% of basic salary, with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance).
HKU-Pasteur Research Pole, a joint laboratory created as a long-term collaborative project between Institut Pasteur and the University of Hong Kong (HKU), have an exceptional record of excellence in virology research. It currently consists of five groups with a total of 40 staff.
The successful candidate should bring together laboratory and organizational skills as well as knowledge of safety procedures to ensure that the laboratory operates smoothly. He/She will work closely and report to the Co-Directors of the HKU-Pasteur Research Pole.
Applicants should possess:
· MPhil degree in science or related discipline
· 3+ years of research experience in a lab
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Fluency in both Cantonese and English; Mandarin would be a plus
Job responsibilities and duties include:
· Manage BSL2 virus and cell culture laboratories
· Assist with and supervise various research projects
· Train new personnel on the correct use of lab equipment
· Supervise lab assistants
· Assist others with and perform lab techniques
· Oversee reordering supplies and maintaining security standards
· Work closely with team members to provide effective solutions to support research objectivesand improve technical activities
· Advise on technical procedures, techniques and equipment, and maintains conformance with specific operational standards; evaluates and recommends new techniques and/or technologies
· Ensure adherence to regulatory requirements, budgets, and schedules
· Establish and improve procedures and processes by addressing issues and risks
· Ensure the lab establishes and maintains a calibration program for testing equipment to provide quality results
· Ensure that environmental requirements set by HKU are met
· Work with the administrator in the determination of fiscal requirements and in the preparation of budgetary recommendations
· Assist to compile and prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations and conclusions in coordination with the Co-Directors and the Administrative Assistant
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefit.
Applicants should send a completed application form together with an up-to-date C.V. to the School at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application forms (345/1111) can be downloaded at http://www.hr.hku.hk/apptunit/jr-form.doc. Further particulars can be obtained at http://jobs.hku.hk/. Closes May 30, 2018.
The University places great emphasis on developing staff potential, and has in place a variety of development opportunities and assistance for staff at different stages of their career.
The University thanks applicants for their interest, but advises that only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be notified of the application result.
The University is an equal opportunities employer and
is committed to equality, inclusivity, diversity and transparency